Monday, August 29, 2011

Dr Pepper

     Dr Pepper is certainly one of the most unique beverages on the market. It manages to be so unique, that there isn't even a period in Dr Pepper. So, who invented this strangely flavored beverage? What is the flavor? And what on Earth does it taste like? I'll try to answer all those questions. Let's start the review.

     Dr Pepper was invented in the 1880s by a man named Doctor Pepper. Just kidding, it was actually created by Charles Alderton of Waco, Texas. It was first served around 1885 and nationally marketed in 1904. W.W. Clements, a former CEO and President of Dr Pepper/7 Up, described the flavor as not an apple, not an orange, not a cola, not a root beer, not anything. Dr Pepper has a unique flavor all its own. It is the only soda I know of that has a completely unique flavor. There is even a Facebook group called What The Heck Does Dr Pepper Taste Like.

     When I cracked open the aluminum can and took a whiff, I noticed a cherry scent, almost a medicinal cherry scent. It might even be comparable to cough syrup. I have heard a few different ideas of what Dr Pepper tastes like. Most of them say it is like "liquid Marzipan" or "cherry-like." I have also heard claims of it tasting like carbonated prune juice, although prune juice is not used in Dr Pepper. I will say that I agree with the cherry claim, as it seems to have some sort of cherry flavor. The actual flavor comes from the 23 fruit flavors they put into it. Regardless of what it tastes like, I do enjoy Dr Pepper. Even the carbonation level was just how I like it. Drawbacks? Well, the cherry-ish flavor can come across as medicinal at times.

     Verdict: 8.3 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...